Hotel Leningradskaya (now Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya Hotel) was opened on the 1st of November 1953.
The shortest from seven sisters - only 136 meters.
Leningradskaya has a hint of the old Russian architectural style, the Russian terem. It is rather modest looking outside, but richly decorated inside - gilded lattices with old Russian motifs, mosaics and stucco, chandelier the size of a 4 storey house (in Guinness Book of Records), lamps, statues, mirrors etc.
One year later after it was opened, a decree was issued about the struggle with the excesses in architecture. Which confirmed that major excesses had been made during the construction of high-rises. The 354-bed hotel “Leningradskaya” spent as much money as would have been needed on an economically designed 1000-bed hotel. After the resolution was issued, the architects were deprived of the titles of laureates of the Stalin Prize and fired. The architects wanted to be put on trial, but Anastas Mikoyan stood up for them, recalling that the previous (Stalin) Soviet government itself had given the architects the task.